Saturday, September 3, 2011

Avoid This Scam - Cardilly.com Follow up



Cardilly.com is a website offering discount gift cards for purchase online.  It advertised a great deal, but looked like a scam.  It was a relatively new site so there wasn't a lot of information about it yet so I figured I would try it out.  Here are the results.

My order was scheduled to arrive no later than Aug 25 - Aug 27.  I was order number 511.  When I had not received my card by August 27th, I sent an inquiry as to the location of my card.  I received the following unprofessional reply:

What is the order number?
Regards,
Customer Support
They had my name and email on file... shouldn't they be able to look up my order number?  Apparently they don’t know where my card is either.

I sent them another email including the order number.  This time I received the generic email reply below.

From: support@cardilly.com
Subject: Re: Cardilly.com: I have not received any of the cards I ordered.
Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2011 18:26:48 -0400
Hello,

First let me say that I am sorry that your order seems to
be late or at the very end of the delivery timeframe.

As I’m sure you are aware, we are a new company and
I guess there will always be some growing pains.

Shipping from Canada without tracking was probably not
the best way to go.  But wanting to offer our customers
free shipping and not hiding the shipping in the cost of
the item, we seemed to have dropped the ball on this one.

We will be changing our policies and all future shipments
will have full tracking.

We thank you for your patience.

Your order shipped from Canada and gift cards are often
inspected by customs due to there monetary value.

We will contact Canada Post and U.S.P.S and put a trace
on your order. 

If the trace does not turn up your order within a week, we
will just reship.  We will send express which will get to you
within a few days only. 

Or if you rather, we can arrange for a refund if it does not
show up within a week.  But please do allow for the trace
results.

Again, I’m sorry for the delay and thanks for your patience.

----

Cardilly.com Support
support@cardilly.com
Upon receiving this response I logged into my Cardilly account and copy and pasted the order numbers and transactions into an email asking them to cancel all the transactions I had made.

I then proceeded to contact my credit card company and disputed the transactions which are listed under “SG MARKETING ETOBICOKE ON” for not delivering the goods or services I was charged for.  Thus far Capital One has been very cooperative with me in getting my money back.

I followed up by filing a complaint with the Better Business Bureau to help shut these crooks down.  If you made a purchase at their site I recommend you file a complaint as well.



Part of being smart with your finances is to avoid scams like these.

AVOID THIS SCAM

2 comments:

  1. Exact same response for my order:

    Hello,

    First let me say that I am sorry that your order seems to
    be late or at the very end of the delivery timeframe.

    As I’m sure you are aware, we are a new company and
    I guess there will always be some growing pains.

    Shipping from Canada without tracking was probably not
    the best way to go. But wanting to offer our customers
    free shipping and not hiding the shipping in the cost of
    the item, we seemed to have dropped the ball on this one.

    We will be changing our policies and all future shipments
    will have full tracking.

    We thank you for your patience.

    Your order shipped from Canada and gift cards are often
    inspected by customs due to there monetary value.

    We will contact Canada Post and U.S.P.S and put a trace
    on your order.

    If the trace does not turn up your order within a week, we
    will just reship. We will send express which will get to you
    within a few days only.

    Or if you rather, we can arrange for a refund if it does not
    show up within a week. But please do allow for the trace
    results.

    Again, I’m sorry for the delay and thanks for your patience.

    ----

    Cardilly.com Support
    support@cardilly.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amit,
    It's terrible that this "company" tried to take advantage of us. Hopefully we can prevent others from falling into the same trap.

    ReplyDelete